home about tour our home shop contact

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hemming and Hawing and a Free Mood Board Room Design for YOU!

I don't know what it is about me but I am always looking for the best deal. In fact, I feel shamed and disappointed in myself if I make the wrong choice, buy too early, or wait too long and the deal's gone. I've been hemming and hawing over finding a passion I could make a living on, and I think this revelation is a step in the right direction.

When it comes to DIY and dollars and cents I have no fear. My immediate thought is I can do that, which becomes I'm going to do that. I was reading the fall issue of House of Fifty when I came across an article on a space one of my favorite bloggers, Danielle Oakey, designed. The space had a budget of $2,000, and it needed a headboard, 2 nightstands, a dresser, lamps, overhead lighting and accessories, art and window treatments. This space wasn't for her home, it was for a CLIENT'S.

You know what I thought? Easy shmeazy. Piece of cake. Piece of pie. Piece of crumb cake. Not because it's not difficult to design a whole room for under 2 grand, because I bet it is, for a lot of people. But I realized, this is my strong point. No matter what the budget I scour high and low to get the best deal out there, to ensure the most bang for the buck. It's probably a really good trait to have, and I don't say that easily, as I'm not the most confident person when it comes to my talents. All I ever know is that when I'm passionate about something, I can do it. And I'm good with money.

The best part of having a "low" budget is the challenge of making sure that just because you didn't pay a lot for it, it still looks like you did. I love this, I thrive on this. I grew up in southern California in which an interest in and influence in style can go one of two ways, over-branded to the point that said style has no grace, or genuinity, or it can become refined, poised, interesting and beautiful. I like to think that mine's the latter. I have a taste for expensive things, who doesn't? But those things must always be beautiful, and beauty, even in small doses and in unexpected places can be overwhelmingly astounding.

This being said, I am giving myself a challenge, and you are welcome to toss one my way too. The goal is one room a week within a budget. All of these rooms will be virtual unless you are looking for help and would like a me to design a space for you! So help me out, and give me a REAL challenge, would you?

Ideally, I'd like to do the following all within a budget:

master bedroom
guest room
nursery
office
kitchen
living room
entry and/or mudroom
dining room
kitchen/ breakfast nook
powder room (half bath)
master bath

Send an email to me with the following information:

-inspirational pictures to get a sense of your style and the feel you'd like
-what needs to be included in the room
-what items you have that you'd like to incorporate into the room
-color preferences, if any
-room dimensions, to ensure we pick out things that will actually fit!
-your budget for the room


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...